Sunday, November 8, 2009

Nursery

When Emma turned 18 months she walked into nursery like she owned the place, she didn't really have trouble with me leaving at all. If anything, it was me not wanting to leave her.

Carson on the other hand wants NOTHING to do with nursery on his own. In the beginning anytime we came near the nursery room he would cry and shake his head, saying NO, NO NO the whole way. Then we got to a point where he would go in and play, but stay close. The only times I have tried to leave, he throws a fit. I will say our church time is during his nap, so we often chalk it up to super tired and take him home.

TODAY WE MADE A BREAK THROUGH!!!

We went in and I stayed with him for the first 20 minutes or so, then I made my move... but don't worry I came prepared! So, I know he should be getting over this, but soothies are for when kids need to be soothed... before I made my move I gave the nursery leaders Carson's Binky and Taggie, so if he freaked out he would have the two things I have been training him to calm down with. IT WORKED!!! I left, I heard him cry a minute later and then it stopped. I waited and nothing. I nearly had an anxiety attack, but the crying was gone. My two good friends Heidi and Cindy were in the hall and nearly had to drag me away from just listening for him the rest of church. But I left and they didn't come for me. In fact one of the other moms were called out and I made eye contact with the Nursery leader and she gave me a big smile and thumbs up! I got to go to most of Sunday School and all of Relief Society - it was awesome! When we came to go get him, he was happy and excited! Then just like clock work he fell right to sleep without a fuss, like it was his normal time. What a great day!

I really hope it wasn't just a fluke and that we will continue to make progress. With Jared having to be in Priesthood with his calling, I was missing Relief Society way more then I could handle! Today was great!

3 comments:

Mrs.EBG said...

Good job, Carson! I think once he gets used to it, he'll be fine! Giovanni never wanted to go into nursery but then when he went into sunbeams he didn't want to leave. Good thinking on bringing his soothies- I'm sure that helped a lot!

Lindsay said...

Oh, so fun! I am so happy he had this breakthrough! I am not looking forward to putting Miles into nursery. Believe me, I want him to go, but I don't think he will like it. We will have to wait and see.

Pratt Family said...

Go Carson!!! Logan does the same thing. Just walking down the hall, he starts to freak-out. And he's finally be going for 2 weeks and they just changed the nursery leaders!! Great...not too sure what next week is going to be like for him. So as long as they don't change your nursery leaders, Carson should be turning for the good and liking it now.