Friday, August 15, 2008

Has it really been 10 years!?


This last weekend I took a trip to San Diego for an over night stay... to attend my 10 YEAR HIGH SCHOOL REUNION! I know what you all are thinking - she doesn't look a day over 22! I know, I know, it is amazing how time keeps going, but my face and body (especially my butt and boobs) just stay as they were a decade ago! I guess I am am just lucky! :)

Anyway, I called up my best friend from high school, Melissa to plan a big weekend together. It turns out that both of our husbands were more then fine with not going to the reunion. So it was her and I, along with another best friend Tracy, for a fun filled evening down memory lane.

Prior to the big event Melissa and I got our fingernails and toes done and spent most of the afternoon shopping for shoes, jewelry and other last minute items to finish off our cute outfits. It was nice to have just a day to not have kids around and just spend some nice time taking care of myself.

The reunion was at The House of Blues in The Gas Lamp District of San Diego. It was a nice club atmosphere with great music and some good food. There was also a fully stocked bar, that stayed extremely busy through out the night. Melissa, being 8 months pregnant and me, being, well me - drank Virgin Mai Tais. We got to visit with old friends, old boyfriends and old rivals. It was great!

It was a little odd because the faces all looked like people I knew well, but my memories didn't keep up with me. There was a lot of "How are you doing these days?", "where are you living now?", "are you married?" (Keep in mind this is not Utah and a lot of people were still single), "how many kids do you have?", "what are you doing for work?" ... and so on. The oddest was one of the guys I knew (Melissa's high school boyfriend's best friend), who was a major stoner - is now a pastor in Santa Barbara! His wife was there, pregnant with their 3rd or 4th ( I don't remember now). It was by far the biggest change of the decade!

I will admit after a while and a lot of alcohol consumption from the people around me, I did feel a little out of place. I was one of the more conservatively dressed people there and possibly the only non-pregnant sober one. There was a lot of nips, tucks and lifts all over the place, which made me look forward to after I am done having kids when me and a plastic surgeon will be best friends. :) By the end of the night I was glad it was over and that I was heading home in the morning. I don't regret going, I would have regretted not going, but I don't plan to attend my 20 year... I have officially moved on!

I flew home the next morning and was glad I had returned from the twilight zone and was back to reality!

No comments: