Saturday, September 27, 2008

Beauty and The Beast

Today Grandma T (Jared's Mom) took Emma and I to a local showing Disney's Beauty and The Beast. A very cool part was that we went an hour early and actually had breakfast with some of the characters. It was really great! We started with yummy Belgium waffles and then some of the characters came out and visited with those who came for breakfast. We got to take pictures with Belle, The Prince, Luminere (the candlestick), Babette (the duster), Mrs. Potts (the tea kettle) and Chip (the tea cup). Emma loved it!

After breakfast the show started and the "excitement" began... from the time Teri told me about this I was excited, I was sure Emma would just die with the fun she would have at the show, seeing the characters and the singing and dancing. Not once did I think through the story line of Beauty and The Beast. Well if you haven't seen it in a while, I will refresh your memory. In the beginning Belle's dad gets lost in the forest and is chased by wolves, then goes into The Beast's castle and meets The Beast who is relatively mean and scares him, then throws him into the dungeon. After this Belle comes to rescue her father and runs into The Beast who still is quite grumpy and scary. Then a little later in the story Belle goes into, the forbidden, West Wing, where The Beast finds her and gets really mad at her for going there. Belle gets mad/scared and runs away, out into the forest where she is chased by the scary wolves again, until The Beast comes to rescue her and fights the wolves. Needless to say Emma is not a brave child, she doesn't even like when I play the music too loud, let alone yelling and screaming from a hairy Beast (with horns no less). The first 45 minutes of the show I spent holding Emma in my arms well she begged to go home and for her Dad. In between the "scary" scenes, were cute singing and dancing times which were my only saving grace. As soon as any Beast, forest or castle scene would come Emma would want to be held and ask to go home, but as soon as the fun scenes would come up I could get her to watch without her wanted to go. Finally we got to a part when the scary stuff was behind us and The Beast started "being nice". She did like it and we tried to soften the scariness by saying things like "the wolves are trying to tickle Belle - that is why she is running away." So funny. She really did have a great time in the end, she clapped and yelled after each song and her eyes were huge whenever the dancing would come up. After the show the cast came out and she took pictures with most of them. She wasn't so sure about The Beast but agreed to take a picture only while being held by Grandma and only after I gave "The Big Teddy Bear" a hug to show how nice he was.

We had a great time, Emma talked about "Princess Belle" and The Beast, the whole way home, through lunch and as I laid her down for her nap. I just hope some memories don't wake her up screaming. :) I really am so glad we went. Thanks Grandma T - you are the best!!!

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Fun stuff! It looks like tons of fun, but I'm not sure I would hug the Beast either...yikes.

Unknown said...

That sounds like fun! Where was it playing?

Pratt Family said...

What a fun activity for Emma. Great pictures of all the cast members. Sure looks like the girls outing was fun.