Sunday, October 11, 2009

Emma's New Dress

I have been sewing a little lately. My sister-in-law Liz is my crafty mentor and was telling me about these cute "pillow case" dresses and so I thought it would be fun to give it a try. It isn't perfect and Emma wasn't a big fan at first, but it was my first actual "wearable" project I have tried to sew and Emma gave it a chance and now asks to wear it every Sunday.
One thing I will say about sewing is that it isn't the cheap way to make clothes any more. When we were kids making our clothes was the inexpensive way to have clothes (although not the coolest). Now-a-days with Walmart and Target, you can't even make things that inexpensive. As for quality - the shirt and shorts I get at Target for 2.50 a piece have lasted past all the wear, tear and stains my kids put on them and that is saying something! BUT, I do think sewing is a dying art, I don't know if I will ever need to know how to make all of my kids clothes, but I do think sewing might be making a come back.

1 comment:

Mrs.EBG said...

I need the pattern for this dress... I want to make one for Natali-- and maybe find a way to make a modest one for me! ;) It's so dang cute! Good job!